Thursday, July 12, 2007

"Bull In A China Closet"

Being a mother of 4 boys is the hardest job I’ve ever had; although, I wouldn’t trade it for anything. Right now, my boys are ages 4, 7, 8, and 10. The youngest two boys are mine, by birth. The oldest two are my step-sons. Besides being the mother of 4 boys, I work part-time, I’m a student (majoring in Web Design), and sometimes a chauffeur to my boys and their friends.

I’m lucky that I have children that are, for the most part, very well behaved.
Well, let me back up for a minute. We are having a few problems with the 4 year old, but that’s to be expected. He’s just a “bull in a china closet”. He’s constantly on the move and always in search of his next meal.

He’ll touch anything, climb anything, and basically eat anything that comes in his little path.

He talks to everyone, climbs on everyone, and kisses everyone he meets.

This was all cute when he was two, but as he gets older, I worry about what the consequences will be. I’m sure that he’ll grow into a very outgoing young man, and that’s all fine. What I’m worried about is that he will run into the wrong person one day that may take advantage of his kind heart.

Is this something that I should try to put a stop to? How do you stop someone from being who they are? Or, should I do what I’ve always done; let him be himself and keep an ever vigilant eye on him?

They say that the terrible twos are the worst.

I thought the terrifying threes were the worst.

Now, I can say for sure, that the frightful fours are by far the worst!

Check out the comments and share yours by clicking HERE.

5 Comments:

Blogger mimi said...

Your four year old seems pretty
normal and be thankful that he has
a loving personality. This is some-
thing that makes him who he is and
how he has had a lot of love in his life. When he gets older he
may be a compationate person because of his being loved and for
his training.

July 13, 2007 at 1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He sounds precious, sweeter than most. He will be an outstanding young man for some lucky girl someday. His brothers will toughen him up some.

July 14, 2007 at 8:51 AM  
Blogger Melissa Swanson said...

I think he's pretty normal, but I do worry about him being so outgoing. I guess it's b/c I haven't had a child that has been so interested in strangers. Today we were in Lafayette, LA and he walked up to some guy in the parking lot and held his hand. I'm always watching him, but it just blows my mind. People love him b/c he is so friendly.
Yes, he is precious! I just wonder if I baby him too much and maybe that's the reason why he's the way he is. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. Any suggestions?

July 15, 2007 at 7:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just keep your eye on him and start gradually teaching him about Stranger Danger but don't frighten him until he won't speek to a stranger. I would rather see an outgoing happy child than a shy bashful one. My granddaughter is 22 months old and she never meets a stranger and has an amazing vocabulary for her age so I know what you are talking about. It is a shame that we live in a society that we have to worry about every stranger that we and our children come in contact with but that is the way life is. You sound like a wonderful mom and you will do the right things and this little boy will be fine.

July 19, 2007 at 1:00 AM  
Blogger Melissa Swanson said...

Thanks for your comment nanabrown. It's good to know that there are other people out there that are going through the same thing. It is very sad that we live in a world where we have to worry about this kind of thing. Keep your eye on your little one, and I'll do the same.

July 21, 2007 at 12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home