Thursday, September 13, 2007

"The Vulnerable Child"

One thing that parents have to worry about, that they didn’t have to worry about 10 years ago, is internet predators.

These days you never know who it out there. The internet is filled with dirty old men (and dirty young men), and possibly women, trying to get information about your child.

When I started this job and was required to write a blog, I never thought that I would have to be careful of what I wrote. I knew not to do the obvious things like state their names and where we lived.

However, it has been brought to my attention that people can find you no matter what you do or don’t do. If they want to find you, they can.

I have tried to be very careful about not mentioning my children’s names.

I’m writing this blog entry b/c I want parents to be aware of the little things that can tip a predator off.

Simply mentioning an event that your child has been involved in (i.e. baseball games, etc.) can be a clue. You could say that your child played in the city baseball tournament and won. Then, if you were to post a picture of your child, with his/her uniform on, they could find out what team they played on. Don’t forget that most children’s last names are printed on the back of their shirts.

Internet predators are patient. They will sit and wait for the right information.

So what can a parent do to protect their child?

First of all, be sure to warn children (no matter their age...if they can use a computer, warn them) about internet predators.

Go over the things that predators can use to gather information and make sure they don’t give that information out.

MySpace has become a haven for internet predators. Kids’ pages are filled with pictures of their personal activities and their friends and families. This is just adding fuel to the fire.

If your child is old enough to use MySpace, monitor their account. It’s almost impossible to monitor everything your child does on the computer, but there are steps you can take to protect them. Don’t ever let a child have computer in their room. This is where problems begin. While you’re sleeping, a child can get on the internet and do things without your knowledge.

Since I’m not the parent of a teenager, I can say not to do that. I’m sure it’s easier said than done. I do realize this. I can’t imagine trying to make a teenager understand why they cannot have any privacy.

For those parents that have younger children, like me, just keep this in mind for the future. A family computer placed in the living room is optimal.

Another thing that parents can consider, with older children, is having them sign an agreement saying that they will follow the rules that you have set for using the internet. Having a teen sign an agreement gives them an accountability that they would not have had before.

Have any of you ever heard of having a child sign an agreement stating that they will not commit suicide without first talking to an adult? This has been proven to be effective. It’s the same principle.

Most importantly, make sure your child knows that it’s never ok to meet anyone from the internet without you being present. I know that teens meet friends (not just sexual conquests) on the internet. So, saying that you must be present is more realistic than saying they can’t do it at all. Put this in your contract.

Do any of you have any other tips for parents on how to keep your children safe online?

Read comments and leave yours HERE.

Labels: , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How in the world can we constantly monitor our kid's activities online? I would love to hear from other parents about this. I have a teenager and simply cannot monitor everything she does online. I may take that computer out of her room though.

September 13, 2007 at 3:16 PM  
Blogger Melissa Swanson said...

I would love to hear from other parents also. It's scary thinking about what the world will be like by the time my children are teenagers.

September 13, 2007 at 3:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also I have gone to many peoples my space websites and saw the information and all numbers of pictures of their kids,family and etc. These crazy people are out to get any age. Their are even cops that are posing to bad people then {talking to little girls}when they meet it's really police officer's all long during the time they were talking , he said he knew ever thing about her and spotted her at baseball park and talked her parents now if thats not wake up call I dont would be. We as parent have got to stop this attack on our children. It would be very easily done to moitor your child move the computer to the family room dont be to proud of it we have to help stop this crime. I promise you if I caught someone doing this I would defend my child, we are going to have to educate our child about this show them information and pictures of what would happen to them . Lets stand as parents and Defend our children lives from this awful way for men to do this to our children. Plus their are women doing this not just men . Women caught with kids from school such as subitites from school. We have to get a handle on this war of peditors. I can only imagine what life will be in 15 years .

September 13, 2007 at 3:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bellsouth (now AT&T) has a parental control site I'm sure most providers do now days. My husband goes on it about once a week to see where our 15 yr old son is going. We also have it set up so he can not log in after 10:00 pm. We also randomly check his cell phone for suspicious phone calls, text messages and pictures. He understands why we do this he does not necessarily like it but he knows if he wants to have these privelages we reserve the right to monitor him.
I have heard it is fairly common for young girls to send pictures of themselves nude. With U-tube and my-space that is so dangerous. I have already started talking to my 10 yr old daughter about this.
I like the contract idea. My husbands brother commited suicide and I always wonder if that can be inherited.

It is a sad world we live in today!

September 13, 2007 at 4:32 PM  
Blogger Melissa Swanson said...

I've heard of those parental controls that let you track what they're doing. I haven't used it before, but I do have it. I think I'll check into that. There is a way to see what sites your child is going to by simply looking at your temporary internet files. I'm sure the programs that they've set up is easier though. Thanks for the tip.

September 13, 2007 at 7:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have so many friends who are not IT 'savvy' and yet they let their kids use the internet freely. They even brag about how clever their kids are on the computer. One of these friends daughter sent my daughter a nasty offline on MSN. WHat this girl was not aware of is the fact that all messages/keys typed are saved on her pc and I go through them all on a regular basis. WHen I confronted my friend about her daughters behaviour she tried to deny that it was her daughter by saying their computer had been down and her friend had the password. I informed her that it was sent by her IP address, at which point she went quiet, as she did not even know what that meant.
This nasty child also has web pages (something similar to myspace) which I have informed her Mom about, but as usual, she is unable to monitor or control her kids.

At the end of the day we are all responsible for our childrens welfare. If you can't find your way around the net, then don't let your kids online either.

It is time that parents are held accountable.

September 15, 2007 at 6:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"If you can't find your way around the net, then don't let your kids online either."

Love this - no truer words...!

September 15, 2007 at 3:18 PM  
Blogger Melissa Swanson said...

I have to say that I agree with that, to some point.
I think that ignorance is the cause for a lot of problems. However, a lot of parents are so unfamiliar with computers that they don't even realize that it's possible for their children to do the things that they do. They think that it's only something the professionals can do. That's simply not true.
Unfortunately, those are the same parents that will not see this blog.

September 17, 2007 at 2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home