Thursday, August 30, 2007

"Wal-Mart Woes"

How many of you moms dread going to Wal-Mart or any store with your kids?

Maybe it’s just because I have 4 boys that are 10 and under.

Maybe it’s because I don’t have the patience required to walk through Wal-Mart when it’s crowded.

Whatever the reason is, I just hate it!

Here’s a typical trip to Wal-Mart with my kids………

As we pull up into the parking lot, my boys start opening the car door before we’re even parked. There is always some majorly expensive sports car parked right next to us. Of course, my 4 year old slings his door open and almost hits the car. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve almost had a heart attack over this.

I dread the day that I have to leave a note on someone’s car explaining that my child has decided to maul their $50,000 vehicle. I’ll also have to tell them that I’ll pay for it, but that they’ll have to let me pay it in monthly installments.

I really try to be honest, but I still dread it. Who wouldn’t?

So, once I find a buggy in the parking lot that isn’t covered in chewing gum or some other foul substance, I take off running to grab it. Meanwhile, my boys are sitting in the car fighting and hitting each other. They’re fighting over who can spit the biggest loogy at the car next to us. I just hope that the sun melts the loogy before the poor man sits in his nicely polished convertible.

Ok, so I have the buggy and am on my way back to the car. All the time I have them in site. Trust me; I would never leave them unattended. I’ve learned my lesson there.

While I’m on the way back to the car to load them up, I realize that they are whispering and laughing. I don’t even want to know why. So, we load up and make our way to the front entrance. I feel like I have entered the twilight zone.

All of a sudden, a sense of doom hits me. I’ll soon know that it’s the premonition that I may go to jail today.

I usually make the 4 year old ride in the front part of the buggy. My 7 year old stands on the end of the buggy, jumping off every chance he gets. He’s daring me to run over him. Little does he know that I think that it's funny. This is one of the little things that make me smile. If I happen to have my step-sons, ages 8 and 10, with me they walk beside me. Well, that’s the plan anyway.

As we enter the store, I realize that I have forgotten to bring in wipes. Any mother knows that this can be an absolute disaster! Even though my youngest is 4, it doesn’t mean that there won’t be a mess.

I usually spend half my time trying to keep him from grabbing all the food off the sample lady’s cart. He will literally scoop and hide it until I’m not looking. So, we always bring wipes. Not only does he eat all the samples, but he also ends up getting some kind of drink from somewhere in the store.

Normally, some little old lady thinks he’s the cutest thing she’s ever seen, offers him a drink, and here’s what transpires:

Little old lady: Look at you. You’re a big boy aren’t you? He’s so cute! How old are you?
4 year old: I’m 4. I go to preschool and my mommy beat me up yesterday.
Little old lady: What? She beat you up?
4 year old: Is my mommy going to go to jail?
Little old lady: Uh, Uh, Uh
4 year old: My Mimi is old as dirt.
Little old lady: Why does your mommy beat you up?
4 year old: Because I shot a rock through my dad’s truck with my sling shot. She didn’t really beat me up. She just told me that it was bad.
Little old lady: You shouldn’t tell people that your mommy beats you up honey.
4 year old: Why?
Little old lady: Because she could get in trouble.
4 year old: Cool!

I got lucky. There were no police in the general vicinity.

Anyway, you can see why I don’t like to take them in public. Actually, my 4 year old has gotten better about embarrassing me. When I say better, I mean he doesn’t do it as much anymore. He’s moved on to bigger and better things.

Oh, and I have since figured out what all the laughing and whispering was about in the car. Apparently, this is the “planning phase” of our trip. For those of you who don’t have more than one child, the “planning phase” is when the older child tells the younger child what to do to embarrass mommy in the store.

So, while we’re trying to load our buggy up with healthy foods, my older boys are sneaking junk food every chance they get. They seem to be able to slip it into the buggy without me noticing. I wonder why that is?

Hmmm, could it be because I’m still trying to explain to the little old lady, and the other 3 people that overheard the conversation, that I really didn’t beat him?

By the time we get to the checkout line, I’m sweating like a fat man chasing a runaway M&M.

My boys are, of course, mesmerized by all the trinkets that the store has so conveniently placed in the checkout lines. I cannot tell you how many times I have to tell them, “No, we don’t have enough money for that.” That just doesn’t seem to comfort them.

Meanwhile, the clerk has totaled my grocery bill. I have managed to spend $350! What? How in the world am I going to explain this one to my husband? I don’t care if it took 3 cars to get it all home. Men just do not understand how it’s possible to spend that kind of money and only come back with what I got.

Maybe it’s because of the kids clothing that I threw into the mix.

Maybe it’s because I didn’t pay close enough attention to the prices.

Most likely it’s because of the junk food and toys that were unknowingly added to my buggy.

Whatever the reason, it will be MANY, MANY years before I ever go back to Wal-Mart with the kids in tow. That’s what I keep telling myself.

I’ll see you there next week! Just look for the woman with kids hanging off her legs and a big pile of cans on the floor next to her.

Check out the comments and share yours by clicking HERE.

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha Ha! Thanks for making me laugh. I need that. I have 5 kids, 3 girls and 2 boys. I understand where you're coming from.
My kids are always trying to get me in to trouble. Try to keep smiling. They grow up fast!

August 30, 2007 at 2:40 PM  
Blogger Melissa Swanson said...

You're welcome. I guess you know exactly what I'm talking about. My boys are really good kids, but something about Wal-Mart brings out the worst in all of us.
I do my best to keep a smile on my face. I have my health, my kids, and a great husband so it's easy.

August 30, 2007 at 2:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow! i have a 21 month old and 6 month old boys! going to walmart for me is much like this, even with my oldest still being so little, he still manages to pull EVERYTHING off the shelves..and attempts to throw things at his brother in the big part of the buggy! its definitly a trip! thanks for making me laugh...and oh..i'll be the one with the toddler climbing out of the buggy while pushing it, and the baby in the cart grunting at the top of his lungs!! lol!

August 30, 2007 at 3:17 PM  
Blogger Melissa Swanson said...

LOL! I very vividly remember taking them shopping when they were that age. I think it was actually harder then; physically at least. Now it's just harder mentally. Hang in there! You'll catch your breath.

August 30, 2007 at 3:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I KNOW HOW U FEEL.I HAVE 6 KIDS, 2 GIRLS & 4 BOYS.MY KIDS DO THE EXACT SAME THING.THEY DRIVE ME CRAZY IN WAL-MART.I'VE LEARNED 2 GO 2 WAL-MART ALONE,U SHOULD TRY IT.ALL I CAN DO SOMETIMES IS LAUGH.THEY R THE BEST AND WOULDN'T TRADE THEM 4 ANYTHING.TAKE CARE.

August 30, 2007 at 10:45 PM  
Blogger Melissa Swanson said...

I do get to go to Wal-Mart alone every once in a while. I've actually started going to Target more though. The kids seem to act a little better in there. Maybe it's b/c there isn't so much chaos. Whatever the reason, it works.
I don't think I could go with 6 kids. I might lose one!

August 31, 2007 at 8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Honey . . . I couldn't have said it better myself. Just wait 'til they are old enough to peel off and disappear into the crowd. Maybe you heard that 'amber alert lock-down' at Wal-Mart. That was us! LOL
Have a great holiday weekend.

August 31, 2007 at 10:27 AM  
Blogger Melissa Swanson said...

LOL! Was it really you? Which one did you lose?

August 31, 2007 at 10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm their with you girl! When my youngest was about 9months old {she is turning 7yrs this Saturday} this older lady said to her Wow are'nt you a doll then my daughter growled like monster at the lady { I was in total shock}their in Walmart I wanted to die. Kids say and do the darnest things I guess we are paying for our raising! Now since they are getting older I try to seek out after bedtime to do all my shopping without them it seems cheaper that way. Good Luck!

September 4, 2007 at 10:36 AM  
Blogger Melissa Swanson said...

LOL! I'm glad it's not just me. By the time I put my kids in bed, I'm literally falling down. They wear me out! I can't imagine going shopping like that. I would probably get stuff that I could never use or eat; like Rogaine. Kudos to you for doing it!

September 4, 2007 at 10:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you might need to call The Super Nanny for your children!! LOL

September 6, 2007 at 8:55 AM  
Blogger Melissa Swanson said...

I think the Super Nanny would hit the door running! I actually thought about signing up for that show. Instead, I just put my foot down and laid down the law. When we go to the store, everything I've taught them seems to disappear. It's like they were raised in a barn. Oh no, I sound like my mother!

September 6, 2007 at 8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home