Tuesday, August 7, 2007

"Am I Spoiling Him?"

Here we go….it’s time to start karate!

My 4 year olds first class is tonight. He gets to dress up in his little karate uniform, with his white belt, and all!

He is so excited that he didn’t want to go to preschool this morning. I reminded him that he would be having karate class tonight without thinking that he had no concept of time.

Of course he asked, “Can we go right now?”

I had to try to explain to him that it didn’t start until tonight. If anyone has ever tried to explain the concept of time to a 4 year old, you know how it went.

I have found, through the advice of my readers, that this time should be spent doting over my 4 year old. We are spending a lot of quality time together.

Here’s my problem……….

For some reason, I have been taking him to buy a new toy every night. It’s not that I feel like I have to buy his love. I think that I just run out of things to do.

So, we go to either Target or Toys R Us, usually get a new train for his GeoTrax set, and take it home and set it up.

He is really into toy trains! He’s got the GeoTrax set and the Thomas Take Along set. He LOVES them.

For now, I’ll try not to worry too much about spoiling him. There will come a point to where he’ll expect it though.

Oh, and if you haven't read my previous posts, you may want to go back and read some of them so that you can see why this is important to me.

What do you think?

Check out the comments and share yours by clicking HERE.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Children can break you fast! We could buy and do more but spending Free time with him its the best attention he can get. Read a story are go to Books A million they have great family books. Iam a firm beliver to not buy kids things just because they might being left out, plus that coin purse will soon fill it. Have you tried putting him in a tumble class besides Karate he sounds already spoiled but full of energy. Does the step father do anything with him , you seem to always mention yourself doing all the work. Right now is the best time to bond them more togther maybe sign him for tee ball , soccer make the step dad then you will get a break as well. That 's about right most step parents sit back and watch the other do all the work. Try a no Tv day and have some family time. I really dont think you can spoil a kid. I have 6 kids myself and I kinda have gone thur what you went through but my ex split the girls from the the boys but it was hard at first but now its fine. We just switch out every 2 weeks on the weekend he has all them the next I have all them so they can get to see each other they are doing great their relationship is proablly better now being split . But just enjoy being home with him maybe go to the local park are join a local Moms Club then he will have friends to play with. Have you considered a kids pottery class. You Have fun spoling him!!!

August 8, 2007 at 12:07 PM  
Blogger Melissa Swanson said...

I'm going to try to answer all the questions. Yes, I think he is spoiled already, but he is a very good natured child. I know it could easily turn the other way. Yes, his step-father does do stuff with him. Well, mainly he will attend things that my son is signed up for. My husband is very close to my son but I am the more active parent. He's a pretty low energy person. I'm not. My life revolves around my kids being happy. My husband takes him to the movies and things like that. But usually I go too. We just all do things together.
I do plan on signing him up for tee-ball in the Spring. He's excited about that.
I am going to be taking some night classes in the Fall so my husband, the step-dad, will be doing a lot of the karate and stuff like that. I think it will be good for both of them.
Oh, he also plays matching games and things like that with him.
I do take him to the park some, but just on the weekends. I work right now. He LOVES the park though.
I am looking into signing him up for a playgroup. He does get a lot of interaction at preschool though.
I'm sorry that you had to go through this. I know how hard it can be. It's good to know that the kids' relationships are still strong. Maybe there is hope.

August 8, 2007 at 12:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey girl, christi here. Just a word of encouragement. I know exactly what you are doing. I know honey! I did it for a whole year and a half after the hurricane. But one huge lesson I learned was that they don't love me anymore for buying them every toy made. What counted was the extra attention I gave to them. They looked to me to be strong; to be the guiding light. IT WAS NEAR IMPOSSIBLE WITH MY HUSBAND LIVING ON HIS JOBSITE, but somehow I pulled it off. You have to dig deep. I believe in you!! You can do this. Love you honey, christi

August 9, 2007 at 12:49 PM  
Blogger Melissa Swanson said...

Thank you Christi! I still don't see how you pulled it off myself. You are amazing!
I'm trying to be strong for him; I really am. It's just hard. I'm sure you understand.
You're a great mom and that's why your kids love you; for who you are.

August 9, 2007 at 12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home