Monday, July 23, 2007

"Watch Your Kids Please"

My previous blog about “The Local Hangout” got me thinking. It’s really sad that some people use their neighbors as babysitters. Let me first say, I’m not referring to the people that live directly on either side of me. I’m referring to other parents in our neighborhood.

Isn’t it just common sense that a 5 year old child should not be riding their bike in the street without an adult watching them? Or am I just paranoid?

Here’s another thing that’s got me thinking. Why is it that when I go outside to pick up the barrage of things that have been left in my yard, I find other children’s pants? I can almost understand little boys leaving their shirts in the yard, but pants? Come on!

What child went home without their pants and the parent didn’t wonder where they were? If my child came home without his pants on, I would lose it!

I have an entire collection of shirts, pants, socks, and shoes that have been found in my yard. I could outfit my entire family with this stuff. But, normally I just throw it away. I got tired of saving it and waiting until someone came looking for it.

Anyway, I digress……

The whole point of this story is that parents need to be watching their children; especially the little ones! I’m tired of backing out of my driveway wondering if a child has run behind my car. I always wonder, “Will this be the day that I’ll hit a child?” That really shouldn’t be something I think about every day.

Check out the comments and share yours by clicking HERE.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I completely agree! Everywhere I've ever lived, I've felt like a designated babysitter to neighbor kids. I once had a neighbor that let her 5 and 2 year old wander around outside all day. There's an 8 year old across the street from me who is out roaming the streets any time he isn't in school or day care.

July 23, 2007 at 9:23 AM  
Blogger Melissa Swanson said...

We must live in the same neighborhood. This is such a shame. I do let my 7 year old ride his bike, but I always know where he is. I would NEVER let my 4 year old ride his bike w/out me right beside him. I can't imagine someone letting their 2 year old run the streets. I'm sure they think the 5 year old is watching the child, but I don't even allow my 10 year old to watch my younest one. They just can't be held responsible for that. They're kids after all.

July 23, 2007 at 9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although I do find a little far for children to leave their clothes in another ones yard. But have you not heard the saying it takes a village to raise a child. There will always be children running everywhere some may more protective then others, but if you do have a problem notify the parents, if not look at it at different point of view and be a mentor for that child who likes to hangout at your place.

July 31, 2007 at 12:19 PM  
Blogger Melissa Swanson said...

That's really all I can do. I've talked to the parents of these children, but it just doesn't last long. So, I'm trying to teach them what's appropriate and what's not appropriate myself. Thanks for writing!

July 31, 2007 at 12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home