Monday, August 27, 2007

"Meeting Billy Cannon"

Today is a good day! I’m not sure why, but I’m in an unusually good mood today. Those days are few and far between lately.

I’ve been really enjoying my 4 year old son this last month. I rarely got to spend time alone with him before. You’ll have to read my previous stories to understand why I can now.

I am starting to notice that he is getting spoiled terribly! In one of my previous posts I talked about whether or not I could be spoiling him. Well, it’s starting to show.

I know it’s not too late to reverse it. I’m starting now.

This weekend he just acted very bratty. He wanted things and he wanted them right then! He has never been one to throw fits. However, I saw a couple this weekend.

Saturday, we went to Reeves Marine to get Billy Cannon’s autograph. For any of you that were there, you know how long the line was.

We waited almost 4 hours to get his autograph.

By the way, if you don't know who Billy Cannon is.....he is only the greatest college football player ever! You can read more HERE.

My 4 year old was with us. They had a few things for the kids to do there, but when we started getting close to the front of the line, I had to make him stand with us.

By the time we got to the front of the line he was climbing on everything. It was chaotic.

When we finally got to Mr. Cannon my son climbed up in his lap. He wasn’t invited or anything. He just did it on his own. He is the kind that thinks everyone is his best friend. He makes other people talk to him. He was constantly saying, “Mr. Cannon, Mr. Cannon…….”. I think he probably drove this poor man crazy!

In case anyone doesn’t know, Reeves Marine has a great selection of LSU stuff! Anything from LSU car mats to footballs (which sold out Saturday) to pens, they have it!

Regardless of the excessive time that we had to wait in line and the excessive damage it did on my wallet, we had a great time! He seems to be a really nice guy.

Check out the comments and share yours by clicking HERE.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mrs. Swanson, you are absolutely right. I can tell you from personal experience that Dr. Billy Cannon truly is a nice man. When most people cringe at the thought of going to their orthodontist, I know that their's wasn't Dr. Cannon, but he was mine 30 years ago. My memories of him are of a gentle giant who made the most beautiful smiles possible. To me he will always be THE BEST LSU player ever and a wonderful man.

August 27, 2007 at 2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's good to hear you are doing better. You are in my prayers I happen to know that spoiled child I know that he is spoiled rotten. Enjoy him he will grow up fast I glad you are getting to spend more time with him he is so sweet and is such a awesome child of God. I think that child does'nt meet a stranger he is always smiling and laughing every time I see him. Best wishes !!!

August 27, 2007 at 2:24 PM  
Blogger Melissa Swanson said...

I have been hearing a lot of bad things about Billy Cannon lately. However, I believe that everyone deserves a second chance.
I just read the other day that he was an orthodontist. Is he still practicing?

August 27, 2007 at 4:32 PM  
Blogger Melissa Swanson said...

Yes, he is always smiling and happy. Both of my boys were born that way. I just hope he's always like that.

August 27, 2007 at 4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is amazing that you would let your child think that Billy Cannon is a hero. He's a convicted felon for counterfeiting and spent time in jail - He would have kept on because he thought he could! He got caught! He's not a nice man and he doesn't deserve another chance - He's capitalizing on his football career - Yes, he was a good football player but is certainly not a role model for young people - you need to find someone else for your child to have as a hero.

August 27, 2007 at 5:51 PM  
Blogger Melissa Swanson said...

My child by no means thinks he's a hero. He thinks he's a famous football player. That's what he is. He has no concept of what a hero even is at 4. But I can assure you that I'm making darn sure that my son is protected from anyone who may be dangerous. When he gets older, I can explain to him more about Billy Cannon. Right now, he could care less.
Thanks for the parenting advice, but I've got it handled.

August 27, 2007 at 10:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Parenting skills by letting you son meet that fool ! Plus he is a felon for theft come on no wonder you have the problems you have had in the past with your children. Like I said in my last post what kind of mother would be proud to stand in line and put their child in the eyes of Felon. I guess you dont have any idea who he really is anybody can sign autogaphs but it takes a man to stand up and say he was caught red handed he would still be doing if he could. It really puzzles me to see these things that parents say and do with their children. I really can see you have it handled. Come on get a grip!

August 29, 2007 at 9:17 AM  
Blogger Melissa Swanson said...

Ok, well everyone is entitled to their opinion. I don't agree with you, but that's fine.
Please don't come on here and post comments like you have done. I am a good mother and the problems I've had with my children are not because of anything I've done wrong. I think it's pretty low for you to try and pass the blame off on someone you don't even know.
There were over 50 kids there at that signing, not to mention over 1,000 other people. I didn't even know he was a felon until later.

August 29, 2007 at 9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can tell from your comments that you love your children. There's no manual with instructions. You just put one foot in front of the other one day after endless day!!! and pray that you haven't messed up too bad.

It always amazed me that children from the most 'Ozzie and Harriet' homes could turn out so bad while other children from less structured environments turn out well adjusted.

Maybe genes play some part in it. Whatever! I guess when you are able to admit to yourself and your kids that you don't have it all together but you really do love them and you are trying to figure things out they can relax and go with the flow. Who knows?

August 30, 2007 at 12:43 PM  
Blogger Melissa Swanson said...

I agree. I'm not perfect, but I really do try to make the best decisions every single day. That's all I can do. I'm not sure they're old enough to understand that I'm going to make mistakes along the way, but I definitely do.

August 30, 2007 at 12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melisa,
You have done the right thing by letting your son meet a part of LSU history.Billy Cannon is a Hero to us,its a shame mr. anonymous doesnt know a thing about football or people !

February 21, 2008 at 10:17 PM  
Blogger Melissa Swanson said...

I know he has a "troubled" past, but it's not something that my son was aware of. I appreciate your support.

February 22, 2008 at 11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home