Friday, August 31, 2007

"Hoax or Warning?"

Ok ladies. How many times have you gotten an email that attempts to scare the “you know what” out of you by telling you that you’re going to be abducted, raped, or murdered if you do a certain thing? Well, let’s talk about that for a minute.

I used to get these types of emails every day it seems. I was the first one to forward it to all my friends and family and warn them about the latest “scam” that was taking place in parking lots.

One day, I got an email from a friend telling me that this never really happened. Here’s an example of one such email:

Imagine: You walk across the parking lot, unlock your car and get inside. Then you lock all your doors, start the engine and shift into REVERSE. Habit! You look into the rear-view window to back out of your parking space and you notice a piece of paper, some sort of advertisement stuck to your rear window. So, you shift into PARK, unlock your doors and jump out of your vehicle to remove that paper (or whatever it is) that is obstructing your view . . . when you reach the back of your car, that is when the car-jackers jump out of nowhere . . . jump into your car and take off — your engine was running, your purse is in the car, and they practically mow you down as they speed off in your car.

BE AWARE OF THIS NEW SCHEME

Just drive away and remove the paper that is stuck to your window later . . . and be thankful that you read this email and that you forwarded it to your friends.

Have you seen this one before? I’m sure many of you have. This is one of the milder ones that I’ve seen.

Well, some websites claim that it’s not true. If you go to snopes.com, you can see if the email you got is actually a hoax or not.

Actually, just typing it into your preferred search engine is better. For this one you could type in hoax parking lot carjack. This should bring up snopes.com as the second entry or so. If it’s not there, chances are it’s not a popular email hoax.

I just came across a great site in my favorite search engine. Click here to read the article

Here’s the thing. Just because it’s a hoax, doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t pay attention to it. These are usually things that could actually take place.

Even worse, they have been known to scare up the “scum of the earth” and cause copycatters.

You know, these are the guys that were spit back out from hell.

Or, the guys I used to date!

Ok, don’t get me started on that. Moving on…….

So, the moral of the story is……

Go ahead and read these emails. Just don’t open any attachments. You may actually learn something.

Be careful ladies and take heed! You’ve been warned.

Check out the comments and share yours by clicking HERE.

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have gotten a few of those before. I don't think I've seen this one. It makes sense ot listen to what their trying to warn women about. Sounds like we've dated some of the same guys. Ha ha!

August 31, 2007 at 4:11 PM  
Blogger Melissa Swanson said...

LOL! I try to pay attention to these types of emails. It's kind of like paying attention to the episodes of Oprah that deal with this kind of thing. Some of the stories seem far-fetched, but it could actually happen.
As far as the dating thing goes, I'm glad to say that I'm happily remarried. Thank goodness I don't have to date anymore.

September 1, 2007 at 5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home