Monday, November 5, 2007

"Something's Gotta Give"

I’m sure I’m not the only mom going through this. I want to share this little tidbit of my life in hopes that someone out there has a solution for me.

First, let me tell you a little about myself:

I’m a 31 year old mother of 4 boys. They are 4, 7, 8, and 10. The older two don’t live with us. They are my step-sons and live with their mother in Texas. However, they do stay here often.

I’m also a student majoring in Web Design. I work part-time.

Here’s my problem........

Starting next semester (January), I will be going to school full time. That means I’ll be taking 4 classes, probably at night. I will be working about 32 hours per week or more.

Right now both of my boys are taking karate. So, twice a week for two hours, I sit up at the karate place with them.

Last year my 7 year old son played fast-pitch baseball. He wants to play again this year, of course.

Not thinking, I promised my 4 year old son that I would let him play teeball this next year as well.

How in the world am I going to manage all of this? Last year, when my older son was playing baseball and karate, we had something every night but Thursday. I’m sure my younger son’s teeball will take the only extra night.

How do you balance the schedules of the two kids? I cannot take them out of karate b/c it’s a year round activity. I guess I can continue to pay for it and not do it. I don’t want to teach them that it’s ok to quit one thing just to do another. Plus, they want to do it.

As long as my son’s grades aren’t suffering, I don’t have a problem with it. I just wonder if any other moms have dealt with this kind of schedule? How do you do it?

Share your tips HERE.

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know how you do all of that. I have a busy schedule but nothing like you. I'm a stay at home mom of two young boys. They are 10 and 4. My 10 year old is also in karate. He did mention that he wants to play baseball this year. I don't think I can do it. I can't imagine what it will be like when the baby wants to do it also. If you figure it out, let me know!

November 5, 2007 at 2:49 PM  
Blogger Melissa Swanson said...

As soon as I know, I'll pass it along to you. I think that it's just going to require some organization and a lot of help from the grandparents. My husband will, of course, do what he can. He can't be two places at once either. Has anyone figured out how to clone themselves?

November 5, 2007 at 2:51 PM  
Blogger Mimi Rankin Webb said...

the only thing you can really do, is sit down, write down everyone's schedule, and let the adults each choose which activities they are going to be responsible for & when- you may have to trade off in some cases *make sure that you allocate for that!* and you may have to enlist the aid of grandparents too if you are fortunate enough to have some that willing to take part- but if you get it all down on paper, it will become a bit more clear what is do-able & what isnt- some tasks may just have to be placed on the back-burner-rank them in order of importance & brainstorm in the solution department- you may have to sit down as a family & decide which things are most important to everyone & which are not- you may find that the kids dont find some activities as important anymore or that their wants/needs have changed-
we juggle fencing, boyscouts, play rehearsals, school dances & organizational meetings that happen at night & on weekends along with husband's day job & my work at home responsibilities- sometimes we just have to take some time off from some activities to have time to breath- we dont quit them altogether, but we do take breathers here & there-but we constantly communicate with the fencing coach & boyscout folks & they know we are coming back & we have an agreement!
its not easy, but sometimes putting it all on paper helps!

November 5, 2007 at 4:50 PM  
Blogger Melissa Swanson said...

That's a good idea. The bad thing is that I won't know the schedule until around February. So, until then, I will just have to guess what days it will be on. I am lucky enough to have grandparents that are willing to help. I don't know what we'd do without them!

November 5, 2007 at 7:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a big whiteboard calendar on the wall right as you come in the door. We have 3 that all have activities. It is a very fine balancing act to make sure everyone gets where they need to be. My high-schooler is the worst he is in the marching band, church band, does karate has a job mowing grass and is in honors classes. I don't worry so much about how it affects us, I worry about it being to much for him so far he has managed to maintain all A's and has gotten his purple belt. It helps to make friends with parents that can help with rides when you run into a bind. Next year will be the true test all 3 will be in differant schools. We also try to vary who goes to what so that one parent doesn't go to the same activity all the time. My husband goes to cheerleading practice just as much as I do and my daughter loves to have him there.

November 5, 2007 at 7:47 PM  
Blogger Melissa Swanson said...

Wow! It sound like you really have your hands full. Maybe my schedule isn't so bad. I can't imagine having 3 kids, all in different schools. That will be tough! Just remember that they will appreciate all your hard work once they get older.

November 6, 2007 at 9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home