Tuesday, February 19, 2008

"Where am I?"

I'm losing my mind!

Ever since my surgery, in late January, I can't remember anything. I'm not sure if it's the hormones or just being tired. Maybe it's a combination of the two.

I am currently taking 5 college courses. This is my last semester, before graduation, so it's very important that I pass. Well, I keep forgetting that I have classes and assignments.

It's embarrassing to have to email your instructor to tell him/her that you forgot again. I'm hoping that it's just the "menopause" that's causing it. Doesn't menopause cause memory loss? I don't remember.

Two days ago I was driving and ended up on the other side of town. I couldn't remember where I was supposed to be going. I figured out later that I was supposed to be going to Target to return some shoes. For some reason, I was in North Bossier. I think I got the two Targets mixed up. I know it sounds crazy.

But, haven't you ever walked into the bathroom and wondered why in the world you were in there?

Is this what I have to look forward to? Does it just get worse with age or will it get better with HRT (hormone replacement therapy?).

Click HERE to leave a comment or read others.

Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melissa,

I had my hysterectomy the week after Thanksgiving. I started having "senior moments" about two weeks after surgery and they have continued until recently. I returned to work full time the 4th of February and just in the past week I have begun to feel more myself. I think that once you start using the noggin again that the forgetfullness will begin to diminish. I am currently on HRT and I don't know if the Premarin is working or not...I have moments of anxiety worse than before the surgery...thank GOD for Xanax. I haven't experienced any other menapausal symptoms though. A few of my friends have chosen not to take it and they appear to be fine, although their husbands say "NOT". LOL. Wishing you luck in your recovery.

Carolyn Ayers

February 29, 2008 at 12:45 PM  
Blogger Melissa Swanson said...

Thanks for writing. It's good to know that what I'm experiencing is normal. I have found a lot of support through a site called Hystersisters.com. Have you seen that yet?
I can't imagine trying to do this without taking hormones. I started having hot flashes the day of my surgery. I was miserable. My doctor has recently changed me from Premarin to Estratest. I've only taken it two days, so I can't say whether it's working or not. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I don't get any meaner, LOL.
Good luck to you also!

February 29, 2008 at 12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hystersister...love it!!!
Carolyn

February 29, 2008 at 1:03 PM  
Blogger Melissa Swanson said...

Me too! I wouldn't have made it without them.

February 29, 2008 at 1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home